josefrichter

josefrichter

Hi,

I find myself doing something like this, mostly in tests:

{:ok, new_time} = Time.new(15, 00, 00)
      valid_attrs = %{
        body: "some body",
        time: new_time
      }

I wonder if it’s ok to extract the tuple value like this

valid_attrs = %{
        body: "some body",
        time: Time.new(15, 00, 00) |> elem(1)
      }

I know I can do that, the question is whether I should be doing that this way? Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 4

trisolaran

trisolaran

The downside in this specific case is that you are ignoring possible errors. If Time.new returns {:error, :some_error_condition} then some_error_condition will end up in your valid_attrs map. This is in general not good :). But, if you are 100% sure that Time.new will always return a valid time, then it’s ok.

josefrichter

josefrichter OP

Yeah I thought about that one. But since it’s only in tests, I guess it’s ok.

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

I think you’re looking for Time.new! or ~T:

Time.new!(15, 00, 00)
~T[15:00:00]
josefrichter

josefrichter OP

omg of course :see_no_evil_monkey:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews