jerry
Good day to you all.
I need assistance on an issue I am faced with.
I have an nginx reverse proxy, behind which is an Elixir application.
The challenge I have is that the only IP reaching the Elixir application is the local IP of the server on which the nginx reverse proxy resides.
Is there a way I can retrieve the remove IP address of the client application.
I need it to be able to secure my platform and only allow IPs whitelisted in my database.
I would be most grateful for your response.
Thanks.
Jerry
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
https://github.com/ajvondrak/remote_ip
shanesveller
Making authz/authn decisions based only on client IP is extremely fraught with peril, so please be sure to continue to follow good practices and use a strong credential model as well. Treat client IP as something that can only deny access on a mismatch, rather than something that can allow access on a successful match.
I’ve seen another similar practice where organizations consider your ability to connect to the application, by being on VPN or otherwise being allowed through network-level whitelists, to be sufficient security, and in most cases this is both lazy and unsafe.
jerry
Hello @shanesveller,
Your comments are very well noted.
Thanks.
Jerry
jerry
Hello @LostKobrakai,
Thanks for your response.
It is well appreciated.
Regards,
Jerry
nesimtunc
That was so complex. I checked out how Plausible Analytics how manage it and it’s super easy!
https://github.com/plausible/analytics/blob/3a1c9e67cd67d5cb1fec68a4dee34f8cd0e056fd/lib/plausible_web/remote_ip.ex