ilya-kolpakov

ilya-kolpakov

By defining a struct one guarantees that the instances’ keys are exactly those provided in the definition. By including a key within the enforce_keys attribute one ensures that the corresponding values cannot be nil.

In my view, the attribute name enforce_keys suggests that the keys listed there will be always present in the struct (which is actually the case for all keys provided in the definition) rather than that the corresponding values cannot be nil.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

This is indeed the case of how enforce_keys behaves. Where are you seeing otherwise? Perhaps the docs could be clearer but the current behavior is exactly as described :slight_smile:

ilya-kolpakov

ilya-kolpakov OP

In my view, the keys are always in the struct as long as they are listed in definition:

iex(1)> defmodule A do defstruct [:a, :b] end
iex(2)> %A{}
%A{a: nil, b: nil}

In my view, one could say that “all the keys listed in the definition are enforced to be present in the struct instance”. And by looking at code itself one could expect that “enforce_keys” does exactly that (meaning the presence of keys not listed under “enforce_keys” within the struct is optional).

What enforce_keys does is that it makes sure the corresponding values cannot be nil. Hence these are not the keys that are “enforced” by enforce_keys. It is rather the non-nilness of values that is enforced. Hence the name enforce_keys is somewhat misleading and non-transparent (IMO).

Docs are fine. IMO, guess clear docs are not a substitute for clear unambiguous names (as they obviate the need to look in the docs in the first place).

EDIT: hopefully better explanations

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

Sorry, I was saying that your ideal view is the current behavior. For example:

iex(1)> defmodule A do
...(1)>   @enforce_keys [:name]
...(1)>   defstruct [:name, :age]
...(1)> end
{:module, A,
 <<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 8, 128, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 1, 14,
   0, 0, 0, 27, 8, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 65, 8, 95, 95, 105, 110,
   102, 111, 95, 95, 9, 102, 117, 110, 99, ...>>, %A{age: nil, name: nil}}
iex> %A{age: 1}
** (ArgumentError) the following keys must also be given when building struct A: [:name]
    expanding struct: A.__struct__/1
    iex:3: (file)

iex> %A{name: nil}
%A{age: nil, name: nil}

Enforce keys doesn’t care about nil values, only keys. Does that clear things up?

ilya-kolpakov

ilya-kolpakov OP

Oh I see. So keys listed under enforce_keys must be present in the constructor and that’s all. They are, in a sense, like positional args to functions as they need to be always present.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews