tenzil

tenzil

Hi folks, i am planning on deploying my app in aws. I have deployed Rails app in EC2. But its my first time for elixir, phoenix. So please guide me here, without docker.
App is a simple, now. it may grow bigger after a month or 2. and there will be a chat functionality (one to one). I have already deployed my app in heroku and gigalixir using distillery. wanted to do the same in aws
Please guide me here

Showing Posts 1 to 9

tenzil

tenzil OP

Found edeliver, reading Deploying Elixir applications with Edeliver « Plataformatec Blog
will update soon how it goes. please do post your suggestions

elcritch

elcritch

That article is pretty out of date at this point. Elixir 1.9+ has releases built into mix. There’s other threads here on the topic, but you could start with the Phoenix docs on releases at Deploying with Releases — Phoenix v1.8.8 as a good reference point.

And welcome to Phoenix! It’s a fun framework.

tenzil

tenzil OP

thanks @elcritch, i appreciate it. i do knew little bit about releases, when i read about heroku/gigalixir deployment docs and i went with distillery.

Googling few blogs for aws deployemnt, found out this one,

please do post, blogs on phoenix deployment to AWS.

gcauchon

gcauchon

This got me curious! What aspect of your design discard Docker from the equation?

I’ve deployed many Elixir web applications to cloud providers with (then) Distillery and (now) mix release and it is, imho so much simpler for 95% of the use cases…

kreiling.io

kreiling.io

I only deploy with Elixir releases nowadays. I have to say you shouldn’t shy away from Docker, necessarily!

If you’re trying to deploy to a VPS (such as EC2), I actually do the following:

  • Setup infrastructure such as databases and Nginx on the host
  • Write a script for building the release in a Docker image with the same OS as the host you’re deploying to. The release can produce a tarball, which you copy out of the Docker image and rsync it to the server.
  • The rest is easy - untar it on the server, stop the old application, and fire up the new release!

For secrets, I have a prod.env file on the host that is loaded using bash’s source command, and those env vars are loaded by rel/releases.exs on-boot.

tenzil

tenzil OP

Hi folks, sorry for the late update. I went with releases. I haven’t spent much time exploring docker, well its in the pipeline, and next stop would be deploying with docker.
thank you folks

onkara

onkara

@kreiling.io are you injecting secrets? are you generating prod.env on the fly in your CI/CD (or any release method) is there a different process responsibly for copying the prod.env ?

onkara

onkara

@tenzil since you are deploying to AWS EC2 would you mind sharing the OS image being used?

kreiling.io

kreiling.io

I keep a folder full of secret files on my dev laptop synchronized with all of my hosts through rsync, and that is how I distribute secrets to my hosts. This way I can share common secrets across my hosts in the same file(s)

However I’d be wary of doing this in the event that you need to collaborate and synchronize secrets across more than 5-10 developers - then you might want to look into something remote & secure, such as AWS Secrets Manager or AWS Parameter Store.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews