Dialyzer returns warnings connected with dependencies

I’ve updated a version of Elixir in a project with multiple applications under umbrella project.

Elixir is updated from: 1.6.4 to 1.7.3
Erlang is updated from: 20.2 to 21.0.8 (tried also on 21.0.2)

After running mix dialyzer, There are pretty a lot of errors, we didn’t have earlier. As an example, I get following warnings, each duplicated few times:

lib/supervisor.ex:1:callback_info_missing
Callback info about the Supervisor behaviour is not available.

lib/phoenix/endpoint.ex:1:callback_info_missing
Callback info about the Plug behaviour is not available.

lib/gen_server.ex:1:callback_info_missing
Callback info about the GenServer behaviour is not available.

Our current setup of dialyzer is following:

dialyzer: [
    plt_add_deps: :transitive,
    plt_add_apps: [:mix],
    remove_defaults: [:unknown],
    ignore_warnings: ".dialyzer/ignore-warnings",
    excluded_paths: [
      build_path() <> "/dev/lib/project_under_umbrella_1/ebin",
      build_path() <> "/dev/lib/project_under_umbrella_2/ebin"
    ]
  ],

We have only dialyzer setup in the root of the project. Such a setup is not defined under each of umbrella projects.

• I’ve tried to change, also: plt_add_deps: true - list of warnings didn’t shorten.

Do you have any other idea, I can try to remove warnings generated by libraries, we use? I would like to prevent adding such warnings to ignore_warnings file.

I had a bunch of errors with dialyzer when using elixir 1.7.2 & erlang 21, and had to use elixir 1.7.2 BUT compiled with erlang > 21 (with asdf, version -> 1.7.2-otp-21)

1 Like

As @amnu3387 suggests, this may be because of some changes with debug-symbols in the BEAM.

If your elixir version is compiled with an erlang/OTP version prior to 20, then your elixir version (and your deps) do only contain old style debug info.

Therefore please check your elixir version with elixir --version, also please make sure you have fully recompiled all of your dependencies in your project, by recursively deleting all _build and deps folders in the umbrella and then mix do deps.get, deps.build.

2 Likes

Thank you for giving a direction @amnu3387 @NobbZ how to resolve it.

I wasn’t aware of that during installation Elixir, it is possible to provide OTP version. I had an Elixir compiled with earlier OTP. After changing to OTP 21, I didn’t get errors coming from Elixir or libraries.

If any of you will have a similar problem and you use asdf (version manager), then remember about adding an OTP version used in compilation:

asdf install elixir 1.7.3-otp-21
3 Likes