Elixir opportunity in London

We are a young startup aiming to democratise financial research by applying cutting-edge Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing technology developed within the University of Cambridge.

We are looking for the first two software engineers to join our team: one with a back-end focus, one with a front-end focus. The successful candidates will form the kernel around which we will build our development team over the next few years. As the team grows, there will be the opportunity to move into a leadership position.

This is a greenfield opportunity. We are technology agnostic: the most important thing for us is to find the right person. We are looking for someone who can combine hands-on coding with an appreciation of the big picture, selecting an appropriate technology stack and architecture, and defining appropriate development, deployment and testing processes.

One of the technologies that’s explicitly on the table is Elixir - hence this posting.

We offer a competitive package and potentially equity participation. Most importantly, this is an opportunity to spread your wings, do things the way that you believe they should be done, and learn about both Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing in the process.

The successful candidate will have (examples are indicative only - we are open to any appropriate technologies):

• At least 5 years experience with appropriate back-end technology (e.g. Ruby, Java, Scala, Clojure, Elixir).
  • Working knowledge of cloud deployment (e.g. AWS).
  • Working knowledge of DevOps.
  • An understanding of agile development, most importantly an appreciation of why agile methodologies work, when they’re appropriate, and when to consider alternatives.
  • An appreciation of the value of automation and testing.

In addition any of the following skills are desirable:

• Knowledge of front-end technologies (e.g. Javascript, CSS).
  • Experience with, or interest in, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing.
  • An understanding of, or interest in, financial markets, investment, and/or crowdfunding.
  • Web analytics.

If you’re interested, please drop me an e-mail at paul@paulbutcher.com.

This is a permanent position only. Strictly no agencies.

7 Likes

Just a nitpick, but probably it will be really hard to find somebody with 5 years of Elixir experience, given the first commit to Elixir repo is dated Jan 9 2011. :smirk:

12 Likes

This looks like a great opportunity :023: and it’s nice to see another British company adopting Elixir :003:

3 Likes

Forgive me if I’m a little snarky, Michal, but as author of one of the first books to cover Elixir (Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks, published in 2014 by The Pragmatic Programmers) this is a fact that I’m acutely aware of. I hope my post asked for 5 years experience with appropriate back-end technology, not 5 years of Elixir?

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I definitely didn’t mean it in a negative way. It’s just the impression I got after reading the offer. Since I’m not a native english speaker, my understanding can be off sometimes. Thank you for clarifying.

1 Like

We adopted Elixir as well, and I’m based in London as well (the company is american though!( :slight_smile:
Good luck for your search, looks like a ton of fun!

ngw

1 Like

Sorry for the “hair trigger” response, Michal.

1 Like

Candidates can be from any country?

The opportunity is in London, Batok.

I dont want to apply, I am just curious to how you utilize Elixir in NLP!

Do you use it for orchestration of “native” NLP systems or do you actually implement NLP in Elixir?

1 Like

Hey Oliver. No problem with curiosity :wink:

As I said in the advert, we are (or at least, were!) technology agnostic. Much of the NLP technology is pre-existing and has been constructed over many years in a variety of technologies (Common Lisp, Java, C++, …). The task we’re currently faced with is wrapping that technology up to turn it from “raw” technology into a product.

As it happens, we’ve ended up selecting Clojure for that task rather than Elixir, just because the best candidates we found came from the Clojure world.

1 Like