At Payitoff, we help borrowers save money on their student loans and other debts. To accomplish that, we employ a crack team of engineers to build empowering software. If you enjoy solving technical challenges, working on a tight-knit team, and helping others improve their financial standing in this world, we want to talk to you.
We are fully remote, family friendly, and committed to investing in diversity within our company. We’re a deeply technical team with decades of experience so it’s a great place to learn and have rich technical discussions. We believe in taking care of ourselves first. We observe “Summer Fridays” all year long.
My name: James Edward Gray II
My position: Head of Engineering
Company name: Payitoff
Company website: https://payitoff.io/
Company headquarters (country): New York, NY
Company info and history (how you’re using Elixir, etc.):
Payitoff is a venture-backed infrastructure provider that got its start by automating every aspect of student loan repayment for fintechs, workplace providers, and financial institutions. We’re on track to help partners save borrowers $200 billion by the end of 2022.
We are recently expanding into other debt verticals. Our mission is to create a balanced borrower ecosystem that helps millions of Americans achieve extraordinary financial outcomes.
Job title: Senior (Full Stack) Engineer
The successful candidate will:
- Work closely with fellow engineers, product managers, and designers to build software that improves the lives of millions of borrowers
- Leverage your engineering experience to inform product design as well as solve complex technical problems that directly impact our customers
- Partner with Product and other departments to understand business problems and present technical solutions and tradeoffs
- Leverage strong collaboration and communication skills to deliver new features within a remote culture
- Work closely with a small, talented team focused on quality, delivery, and camaraderie
- Actively learn from and further educate your teammates
- Care deeply about the borrower experience
Salary range: $150K to $180K based on experience
- Health, dental, vision, and wellness benefits
- Home office budget
- Lava Lamp
- Career development, rapid growth, new opportunities, and autonomy to do your best work
- Normal working hours
- Lots of time off (seriously, we will force you to take time off)
- Summer Fridays all year long!
Position on remote work:
If you work in a place with others and want to share office space, we’re happy help make that happen. We typically gather for an in-person offsite once or twice a year. Both in-office work and offsite attendance are completely optional.
Qualifications or experience required:
We would love a candidate who knows some of the things on the following list. We’ll gladly teach the others to anyone with a desire to learn.
- PostgreSQL (AWS RDS Aurora)
- AWS (EC2, S3, RDS, CloudFormation, Route53, Secrets Manager, and more)
- Student loans
- Debt guidance
- Our favorite board games (this is a joke)
It’s fine if you don’t know all of the above. Some of us don’t either. We’re also sure that you know things we don’t and we’re always eager to learn more. We tend to be weaker on the frontend skills, so you might impress us with those, just to give one example.
If you feel this is the role for you, please err on the side of sending in an introduction and resume. We would love to consider it!
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
In student loans we have existing systems for enrolling in the best repayment plan, checking eligibility for forgiveness programs, and managing employer contributions. We’ll soon launch refinancing, to help get better interest rates. Future plans include an accelerated paydown program and married enrollments.
We are expanding into other debt verticals now as well. We’re actively developing new modules to analyze other liabilities (credit cards, mortgages, Buy Now, Pay Later loans, and more) and a Guidance Engine to help borrowers make the best choices around managing their debt.
Technologically speaking, we’ve got old code that needs love and new code to design and build. We have interfaces and backend APIs develop. We can keep you entertained with interesting technical challenges!
Our process is three interviews.
It begins with a one hour chat with our Head of Engineering (me). We’ll both ask questions to feel out if this position is a good fit for both parties.
The next step is a two hour technical exercise. We would never ask you to code an algorithm on a whiteboard! We try to pick a task that feels close to real work: read in some data, munge it around, and write out a short report or build a single interactive web page. We assess primarily how we communicate and work together and we’ve hired candidates that didn’t complete the exercise. Alternate exercises are available for anyone uncomfortable with live coding.
The final interview is an hour and a half hangout with our engineers. Again, both sides feel out the fit.
We always communicate results, either way, after each step.
If you’re interested, please email an introduction and resume to:
James Edward Gray II
Head of Engineering
You can expect an initial response within two business days.