minhajuddin

minhajuddin

Hi Guys,
I had to build a Gzip plug for one of my projects as I needed only a subset of pages to be Gzipped (PlugContrib.Gzip – plug_contrib v0.1.2). I’d love to hear any ideas to add to this plug_contrib package. Rack has a nice list of Middlewares listed at GitHub - rack/rack-contrib: Contributed Rack Middleware and Utilities · GitHub . Many of these are already present in Phoenix/Plug. I’d love to hear ideas on what people would like to have in this project. I’d love for this project to collect non core plugs which web apps may need from time to time :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 6

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Btw, Cowboy also supports gzipping. You only need to pass compress: true to the server configuration (on Phoenix this means under the :http/:https keys in your configuration):

config :my_app, MyApp.Endpoint,
  http: [compress: true, ...],
  https: [compress: true, ...]

The Plug can still be handy in many situations, for example, if you cannot compress all routes, the Plug gives you flexibility where the Cowboy configuration cannot.

minhajuddin

minhajuddin OP

Thanks, I did come across this. Like you said it compressed all the traffic. Our scenario required compression of just a subset of the routes :slight_smile:

nathanl

nathanl

Note that compression + SSL/TLS can open you to http://breachattack.com/. After some investigation, I think we’ll just do without gzip on our API responses, which are served over HTTPS. :frowning2:

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Plug.CSRFProtection uses a masked token which does not make it vulnerable to breach (although you need to be careful to not introduce something similar).

nathanl

nathanl

Good to know. Our API users request API tokens (with credentials) and send them back in requests. I’m not sure whether that makes us vulnerable (I don’t thoroughly understand BREACH), so at the moment I’m thinking we won’t use compression.

nathanl

nathanl

I think we’re safe from BREACH after all and can use gzip + https.

Essentially, I think the vulnerability is this:

  • Assume an attacker can make their victim make requests to our site. The
    attacker cannot see inside the HTTPS responses, but can see their
    length.
  • The attacker makes the victim make repeated requests to an endpoint that
    returns both an unchanging secret value (like an API token) and a
    value that the attacker can change (eg, a search term that gets echoed
    in the response).
  • The attacker keeps tweaking the search term in successive requests.
    Because gzip works by de-duplication, the closer the attacker gets to
    guessing the API token, the smaller the response gets. Eventually, they
    can guess it exactly, and can then impersonate their victim to
    our site.

I think we’re safe because:

  • We don’t have any endpoints which return both and API token and
    some value sent in the request.
  • In any case, we never send the same API token twice because the value
    we send is timestamped and signed; we use Phoenix.Token.sign/3. This
    should make guesing the value as describe above impossible.

If anybody knows otherwise, please chime in. I’ve also asked about it on the Information Security Stackexchange.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ausimian
Castle is a package I put together to assist with building Elixir releases capable of being live-upgraded via the ‘official’ release hand...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews