Allyedge
So, I’m trying to build a Discord library in Elixir and I have to connect to the Discord gateway for that. The connection part works, but when I try to send a message as shown here: Gateway - Documentation - Discord
I get no response back - it also says timeout when I do it manually in iex
defmodule Chemie.Discord.Gateway do
@moduledoc false
use WebSockex
import Chemie.Constants, only: [gateway_url: 0, bot_token: 0]
require Logger
@url gateway_url()
def start_link(state \\ []) do
WebSockex.start_link(@url, __MODULE__, state, name: __MODULE__)
end
def handle_frame({_type, message}, state) do
json = Jason.decode!(message)
IO.inspect(json)
Map.new(~w[d op s t]a, &{&1, json[to_string(&1)]})
|> handle_discord_message()
{:ok, state}
end
defp handle_discord_message(%{op: 10}) do
data =
Jason.encode!(%{
"op" => 2,
"d" => %{
"token" => bot_token(),
"intents" => 513,
"properties" => %{
"$os" => "linux",
"$browser" => "chemie",
"$device" => "chemie"
}
}
})
# This is where I send the message
WebSockex.send_frame(__MODULE__, {:text, data})
end
defp handle_discord_message(data) do
IO.inspect(data)
end
end
Am I sending the message in a wrong way?
Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Graborg
Hi!
Did you ever manage to solve this?
If not:It seems you are using MODULE instead of a pid when callingWebSockex.send_frame(MODULE, {:text, data})Using the pid of the Chemie.Discord.Gateway process should do the trick!I saw now that you correctly name your WebSockex with __MODULE__ as well.. so that should’nt be a problem.
Looks correct on the Elixir side to me!
If not, you can also try using gun. Which seems a little more stable.
Good luck!
Allyedge
I am very late to reply. But no, I didn’t, I think, not sure anymore at this point, haha.
Yeah, I think
gunis quite nice.