wallyfoo

wallyfoo

I’m rebuilding an aging node online store with a mongo backend into an Elixir project with Postgres for the data layer. Since I can’t do anything the easy way, I’ve also decided to eschew my own patterns and use Ash to manage the framework stuff. NGL, I have been seduced by Ash conceptually, and I’m going to put it to the test with my company’s main means of making money.

One of the core problems of an online store that sells physical product is making sure you’re tracking that physical product accurately. We have multiple inventory locations that service different parts of the world. As such, these different warehouses have different quantities, constraints on amounts, buffers for oversell, that sort of thing.

I’ve been doing my research and have found what appears to be a reasonably robust inventory accounting method that can track all the stuff I need to track, lock availability when things are added to carts, the works.

I also don’t want to reinvent the wheel. I’m looking at the available extensions for Ash that are already out there, and I’m not seeing anything that really fits the bill. I could maybe make the Double Entry Accounting extension bend to my will, but I’m not super stoked about trying that angle. Do the seasoned Ash developers on the forum know of any off-the-shelf inventory systems?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

johnsseruwagi

johnsseruwagi

Nice project that you are welcome on, I don’t think that there is an off the shelf inventory management extension for Ash or even elixir at large. However a simple suggestion that can perhaps improve your custom implementation, why don’t you consider building your system as a CQRS/ES with ash_commanded extension and use Reactor for orchestration.

wallyfoo

wallyfoo OP

Thanks! I’ll investigate.

carlgleisner

carlgleisner

Hey @wallyfoo,

While it’s not off-the-shelf – and perhaps too domain-specific for your use-case – maybe you’d want to check out this repo:

garrison

garrison

This is only tangentially related but I came across this blog post recently which is about using double-entry accounting for inventory management. Specifically using the Tigerbeetle database (which implements double-entry accounting) to manage ticket sales. Maybe you’ll find it interesting :slight_smile:

wallyfoo

wallyfoo OP

Thanks! I will.

wallyfoo

wallyfoo OP

Very cool. Maybe double entry isn’t as wild an idea as I thought.

wallyfoo

wallyfoo OP

Reading more about Reactor, their “advanced workflow” example is exactly an order processing system.

garrison

garrison

In that particular case I don’t think it’s so much double-entry as it is that Tigerbeetle is a database designed for very high-contention workloads which both financial transactions and ticket sales/product inventory tend to be. With transactions you have hot accounts, and with inventory you have hot products. And in both cases strong consistency is an absolute necessity.

I’m not saying double-entry is a good or bad idea here; I don’t really know enough about it. It certainly seems to be an enduring paradigm, though!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews