kminevskiy

kminevskiy

Hello,

I’m trying to convert a SQL query to the Ecto query, but I’m having hard time figuring out how to do that. I know I could simply execute it using SQL adapter, but I thought I might give it a try using Ecto.

The query is supposed to compare dates in historical_reports table to all non-holiday, non-weekend dates (generated by generate_sequence CTE and then filtered against country_holidays table) since the first date found in the historical_reports table. For example, assuming I have records for a whole year in my historical_reports table and missed yesterday (non-holiday and non-weekend day), the result of executing the following query should be a single record of 2020-04-06.

WITH company_report_date AS
(
	select report_date
	from historical_reports
	where company_id = 1
),
year_without_weekends AS
(
	SELECT date(d)
	FROM generate_series((SELECT min(report_date) FROM company_report_date), current_date, interval '1 day') d
	WHERE EXTRACT('ISODOW' FROM d) < 6
)
SELECT date
FROM year_without_weekends yww
WHERE yww.date NOT IN (SELECT report_date FROM company_report_date) AND
yww.date NOT IN (SELECT holiday_date FROM country_holidays) AND
yww.date <> current_date;

I started deconstructing that CTE into smaller Ecto queries, like so:

company_report_date = from hr in HistoricalReport, where: hr.company_id == ^company_id
first_date_record = from q in company_report_date, select: min(q.report_date)

At this point, I need to use a fragment to generate a sequence of dates, but I’m not sure how to proceed:

from d in fragment("select date(d) from generate_series((?), current_date, '1 day'::interval) d where extract('ISODOW' from d) < 6", first_date_record)

I guess my question is how to construct the third intermediary query when I’m not using any defined schemas / tables and then continue filtering / deconstructing it further. Also, does that approach make sense at all or should I simply use the SQL adapter and run my query as is?

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I guess the problem is you’re using a subquery in the FROM part with generate_series, but ecto queries only support subqueries as from and join sources. Trying to compose subqueries and fragments will quickly become unwieldy, so I’d suggest sticking with the raw SQL unless you can refactor the query to have the generate_series be called differently, so ecto’s subquery handling can apply.

massimo

massimo

I had to do it for a few slightly complex CTEs, your best friend is Ecto.Query.subquery that transforms query composition into subquery expressions.

For example this CTE


with fast as (
	SELECT c2.city, st_distance(st_transform(c2."geom", 4326), point.geom) d 
	FROM "shapes"."cities" AS c2, point 
	WHERE st_intersects(st_transform(c2."geom", 4326), point.geom)
),
slow as (
	SELECT c2.citiy, st_transform(c2."geom", 4326) <-> point.geom d 
	FROM "shapes"."cities" AS c2, point
	WHERE st_transform(c2."geom", 4326) <-> point.geom <= 50.0/110574
)
select * from fast
UNION all
select * from slow
WHERE NOT EXISTS (
	select * from fast
)  
order by d
limit 1

Can be converted to

fast_query =
  from(m in module,
    where: st_intersects(st_transform(m.geom, 4326), st_makepoint(^lon, ^lat)),
    select: map(m, ^fields),
    select_merge: %{
      distance: st_distance(st_transform(m.geom, 4326), st_makepoint(^lon, ^lat))
    }
  )

count_query = from(f in subquery(fast_query), select: %{count: count()})

slow_query =
  from(m in module,
    join: c in subquery(count_query),
    where: in_range(st_transform(m.geom, 4326), st_makepoint(^lon, ^lat), 50),
    select: map(m, ^fields),
    select_merge: %{
      distance: st_distance(st_transform(m.geom, 4326), st_makepoint(^lon, ^lat))
    },
    where: c.count == 0
  )

fast = from(fast in subquery(fast_query))
slow = from(slow in subquery(slow_query))

from(
  q in subquery(
    from(fast in fast,
      union: ^slow,
      select: fast
    )
  ),
  order_by: q.distance,
  limit: 1,
  select: q
)

to print the generated SQL you can use

Ecto.Adapters.SQL.to_sql(:all, RepoModule, query)

EDIT: Ecto 3.2 already added support for CTE, ecto/CHANGELOG.md at master · elixir-ecto/ecto · GitHub but I find subqueries more readable in code, while CTE are usually better in SQL

hauleth

hauleth

Heh, TIL that Ecto finally allows subqueries in the source. Great, I was missing that for some time now.

And to update @kminevskiy - the approach by @massimo will be better as in PostgreSQL 9-11 the CTE was optimisation fence. Now it still is, but it can be lifted sometimes. So this approach will be better as it allows to bubble the filters up and down which allows for better optimisations.

kminevskiy

kminevskiy OP

Thanks for your detailed example, will definitely give mine a try later today!

kminevskiy

kminevskiy OP

OK, here’s an update:

The query I managed to compose is this:

from c in company_report_date, 
  right_join: dates in fragment("select date(d) from generate_series((?)::date, current_date, interval '1 day') d where extract('ISODOW' from d) < 6", ^min_date), 
  on: c.report_date == dates.date, 
  where: is_nil(c.report_date),
  select: %{missing_date: dates.date}

However, the resulting execution returns an empty set. To test it, I converted my original SQL query to the one matching that new Ecto query and it returns the same result. So there has to be something wrong with my new Ecto query.

kminevskiy

kminevskiy OP

Just a quick update. Here’s how the final query looks like in my case. Not sure if that’s the best / most efficient way of doing it, but hey, it works and makes sense when I read the code :slight_smile:

scoped_historical_reports_query =
  from hr in HistoricalReport, where: hr.company_id == ^company_id, select: [:report_date]

final_query =
      from hr in subquery(scoped_historical_reports_query),
        right_join:
          dates in fragment(
            "select date(d) from generate_series((?)::date, current_date, interval '1 day') d where extract('ISODOW' from d) < 6",
            ^min_date
          ),
        on: hr.report_date == dates.date,
        where: is_nil(hr.report_date),
        where: dates.date not in ^holiday_days,
        where: dates.date != fragment("current_date"),
        select: %{missing_date: dates.date}
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews