Is GraphQL with Absinthe, Phoenix, and React a good combo for a small application?

Is GraphQL with Absinthe, Phoenix, and React a good combo for developing a small application which may get traction and get busier?
Is this combo better than vanilla server-rendered Phoenix with vanilla JavaScript plus-minus Stimulus, plus-minus LiveView?

If it’s so, then I’m gonna buy the new course by PragmaticStudio called Unpacked - Full-Stack GraphQL with Absinthe, Phoenix, and React and start learning this combo.

1 Like

Consider SvelteJS as an alternative to React. Smallelr/faster runtimes and may integregrate better with LiveView JS Interop.

4 Likes

If all these technologies are new to you, then maybe you should go with something simpler, something you feel comfortable. Otherwise, the technologies should be good enough. I prefer GraphQL to REST, makes a lot of things easier and with better guarantees.

5 Likes

SvelteJS seems to be the new kid in town. Did You notice a faster render than React? which is already fast…

1 Like

I tend to agree with @bzhr to try to go with something simpler first… especially if you haven’t learned these technologies yet or don’t have much time to learn/invest. Personally I’d give LiveView a shot at first to simplify and speed development unless your experience or requirements dictate otherwise.

That said, I haven’t watched this one but all the other Pragmatic Studio courses I’ve seen are EXCELLENT so if you do want to learn that stack it would be a good way to go.

3 Likes

I recommend more traditional way than React. It adds complexity, especially if you are a single developer. On the other side, if you really want to go with React, I found the React setup with Phoenix + Webpack really pleasant (as opposed to Rails where I tried it too).

2 Likes