sodapopcan

sodapopcan

The docs give this example of a policy:

policy action_type([:create, :update, :destroy]) do
  authorize_if expr(owner_id == ^actor(:id))
end

This is in the context of a policy group. Using it throws an error that filter expressions cannot be used for creations. I also get if I do it outside a group:

policy action_type(:create) do
  authorize_if expr(owner_id == ^actor(:id))
end

I read and understood the error message and it makes sense since there is no data yet for create, but how would you ensure that an actor can only create a resource for themselves?

I would like to do this:

MyApp.Items.create_item(%{
    title: "New item",
    user_id: user.id
  },
  actor: user
)

I’m also wondering more out of curiosity (even though I don’t want to do it this way) is there is a way to reference actor in action in change? For example, I tried to do this:

create :create do
  accept [:title]
  change set_attribute(:user_id, actor(:id))
end

though I see actor/1 is only available in expr (I think?)

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

You actually can do what you described, but there is a more expressive builtin for it.

change relate_actor(:user)

And what it could look like done manually:

change fn changeset, context -> 
  Ash.Changeset.force_change_attribute(changeset, :user_id, context.actor.id)
end
zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

We should probably update those docs to remove :create from the example, could you open a PR or issue to track that?

sodapopcan

sodapopcan OP

D’oh, sorry, this was an RTFM failure (did not find relate_actor or realize that change takes a fun) that’s awesome.

Yep, I’m happy to open a PR to fix docs!

sodapopcan

sodapopcan OP

Oh wait I was a bit overzealous there.

First, I’ll add that yes my bad, change set_attribute(:user_id, actor(:id)) does work, I had a different error :man_facepalming:

Secondly, how would you ensure the actor matches the passed user id purely at the policy level? Is that just not possible right now?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Oh, it’s very much possible. There are various ways you could do it.

policy :create do
  authorize_if relating_to_actor(:user)
end
defmodule MyApp.Checks.SomeCustomCheck do
  use Ash.Policy.SimpleCheck

  def match?(actor, %{subject: changeset}, _) do
    # arbitrary logic here
  end
end

policy action_type(:create) do
  authorize_if MyApp.Checks.SomeCustomCheck
end
sodapopcan

sodapopcan OP

Ha, amazing. Ok, thank you. Need more careful RTFM on my side.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews